How to clean/restore Adidas Ultraboosts
Ultraboosts are one of the most common sneakers to come through our stores. More often than not you've probably got a few questions such as:
- The boost has gone yellow (from oxidisation). How can I unyellow/deyellow it?
- The knit is very delicate. How can I clean it without damaging it?
- The dirt in the boost is visible but can't be removed. What can I do about it?
We're going to address these questions today!
How to clean your primeknit/mesh uppers:
- Target stained areas with a sneaker stain remover. This helps to loosen stains and make them easier to be removed with a brush later.
- Prepare a bowl of warm water. Add a few squeezes of sneaker cleaner and use a soft bristle brush to brush the shoe in circular motion. Wipe using microfiber towel and repeat if necessary.
- Use bleach
- Use dishwashing soap: these may stain your uppers
- Use the washing machine: It can make your glue-lines more evident and this is relatively irreversible. It can also yellow your boost quicker.
- Use a stiff brush or toothbrush on the uppers: this will cause material wear and tear
Is your boost still dirty and yellow after cleaning? This is a normal process of an ageing boost midsole.
How to whiten your boost:
- SneakersER pen. Our unbiased take on this: the finish isnt the best. You'll find that it leaves pen-like brushstrokes when you're done. But we'd recommend it if you want a super quick and convenient job.
- Lacespace's SNKRology white pen marker: Relatively inexpensive. If you had to use a pen, we definitely rate this as one of the most affordable. However, the same downside is that it will leave pen-like brushstrokes and the finish doesn't match a brand new boost.
- Boost paint: yes this is going to be biased that we recommend our own product but... how could we not! Its backed by our satisfaction guarantee and its colourmatched to a new boost! Use a paintbrush and no pen-mark finishes. Add a matte finish coating on it to seal the paint, protect it and also provide it a factory-like finish!